Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: My accent

  1. #1
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    My accent

    is there any way to change this? I mean it's horrible... I never sounded this bad, but dang, it's gotten so bad. I mean, I'm hick... straight up from the back of the holler. It's like I rolled out of a Texas tree and hit every "hick" branch on the way down.
    Xbox live "you from Texas boy?"... even my woman says "God, you're are the countriest person I've met" haha...
    I don't even look the part..... I don't look "hick, country" at all.... and this voice comes out and boom... I sound like I'm retarded, seriously....

    no, all you people, I'm not bashing my accent, or anyone else's... but mine keeps getting more and more backwoods. Not southwest Virginia "country", but I'm talking Texas, Arkansas type backwoods... gah haha..

    and it's slowly happened over the years... about when I turned 18, my voice slowly kept getting deeper and more drawn out.... it's so funny, and it's cool... but dang lol

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Yes it's changeable.
    Start with phonetic pronunciation of your vowels - make them short, and one syllable.
    The sounds of English and the International Phonetic Alphabet | Antimoon.com

    You'll have to think about it at first but it will become second nature eventually.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    hate to say it, but the British is so much easier for me haha.... that's sad. I have to actually put effort into the American, and the British rolls right off my tongue... I'm doomed...
    please, please, please don't tell me I'm 1 of the few who still have the close old english accent from when they first arrived... Geesh.. help

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2003
    Posts
    1,914
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    hate to say it, but the British is so much easier for me haha.... that's sad. I have to actually put effort into the American, and the British rolls right off my tongue... I'm doomed...
    please, please, please don't tell me I'm 1 of the few who still have the close old english accent from when they first arrived... Geesh.. help
    i say be proud of it, you could be from jersey or boston. or wisconsin, but no detail into that one
    Cant we all just get along?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    oh trust me, I milk this accent for everything it's worth. I had a linguistics expert, and university professor listen to me before. Each told me all these little "pieces" they heard in my accent. It's wild, and people away from here, absolutely love the way my voice sounds.
    I'm proud of it, but it's just so hick haha... I'm not talking "retarded/hermit" hick... but straight up, it's just weird haha

    There's a difference between my accent, and the lesser intelligent people of the surrounding area. Take for example, someone who has never had schooling or correct pronunciation of a word...so they speak slowly, and more hick. People are usually surprised that I correctly speak all my words and such, it's just the thick, drawn out, non wise county accent haha

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    its words. its all how you pronounce words.

    my accent used to be terrible, but i make an effort to try and fix it.

    stat off easy, words like RIGHT, make sure you fully pronounce the vowels.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    Yeah. I've been working on mine as well.

    Kind of a hard thing to do in Kentucky, even if I am close to Lexington. But I am doing what Biggin is doing. Also, might be a good idea to work on things such as "huh?" or "uhh" and "umm." I've been doing that.

    A guy from Cincinnati who studies in the music department with me had been making fun for it. No way in hell am I working on my accent for him. Did bother me because he would always stereotype me as being stupid and as coming from a place without shoes. Glad that guy is a vocal major and not instrumental.

    I'm working on my speech habits for my teaching, not for somebody for whom I have little respect.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    I try to work on my accent because of jobs.

    As crazy as it sounds people who interview potential employees do look at things like that, so I try my best to make me sound less SWVA-ish lol

    It comes out bad when I get angry tho, when I start swearin and cussin I sound like a backwoods hermit

  9. #9
    Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    That's true. I'm getting to the point in college where I really need to watch my speech. I used to say "uh" all the time. I try to refrain from that as much as I can.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member steer's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2002
    Location
    Bristol, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    3,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My accent

    It's not how I pronounce words, or any of that. It's just the way I sound. My voice, it's just....haha...
    I know everybody has the "SW-VA" accent, but mine goes further than that.
    That's the thing though, when I speak, people are really surprised at how fully I pronounce all my words and clearly they're spoken. It's just the thickness and drawn out of this voice.
    It's crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •